Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stretchy is good

I have to admit I’ve taken to unbuttoning my pants after meals. I suppose this is a sign that the belly is coming in after all. Because said growth has sneaked up on me, my only defense is the old unbuckle/unbutton. I think I’m still weeks away from hitting up the maternity store, but as a first timer I’m not guaranteeing myself anything.

Wearing a belt is a pretty good way to not admit I’m loosening the old waist: no one has to know, because a buckled belt looks the same no matter what hole you use. This does mean I have to wear belts to work every day, but I’ve got a few big buckles I can trade in to spice it up. It’s not a big deal, and if I can keep people from seeing how I’ve begun resting my hands on my belly while I lean back in my chair then I think I can make it eight more work days until my contract runs out and I leave—and then tell everyone as I’m walking out the door so they can’t make a big deal because I’m already on the subway and waving goodbye.

It’s pretty liberating to just let your gut hang out when it’s too big for your pants. This may or may not become a full-time habit. Soon I can use my "BellyBand" which I bought on sale at Target, like, forever ago. It is a sweet contraption that covers the top of your un-buttoned pantalones and the bottom of your belly so you can keep wearing all your old pants even though they aren't even close to closing. I bet it is snug and cozy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment