Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gimme, Gimme!

It’s registry time! The grandparents-to-be are swarming us with gift ideas, asking what to tell their friends about gift ideas, and generally getting on us to become “prepared.” What, you don’t just bring home a baby from the hospital and wing it? Dang.

Registries are very fun and very, very awkward. Why should we presume people will buy us gifts? And on top of that, why do we get to tell them what to buy us? Who do we think we are, anyway? Well, as awkward, and I would say even rude, as they feel (maybe it’s just me?), we are putting one together. If someone wants to help us out then we should let them know how, if they’re interested. (If they are buying us a gift I assume they are interested…but anyway.) Something about it just feels really wrong though. Like you get to actually tell Santa what you want for Christmas and he might listen.

The fun part, though, is really fun. I would say it’s half the thrill-factor (we can ask for anything we want?) and half the procrastination-factor that make it so enjoyable. Don’t want to do work? Check on the registry instead. Changed your mind about that pea-green jumpsuit? Go change its color! The wonderful, wonderful World Wide Web can honestly make anything happen. Probably I’ll register for a Wii (I guarantee some baby store has them), new skis, and a cable subscription just because it is possible someone would buy those for us. And if they don’t, I’m not any worse off am I?

Ps. www.myregistry.com lets you complete a “lifestyle” registry. This means you need absolutely no reason for asking for gifts other than you have a “lifestyle.” I told you it was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment