Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hello, Klutz

Jesus H, who is this klutzy person taking over my body? Of all Gardner’s intelligences, I am definitely in the “bodily-kinesthetic” genius category, meaning I am über-coordinated and especially dexterous—if I do say so myself. I may not have exceptional “mathematical-spatial” skills (who needs those?) or understand people because I’m so “interpersonally” intelligent (ick, people), but ask me to pick up a random sport or make a craft and I’m your gal. Until now. I’m not sure I can count how many times I have spilled my morning latte this week alone (and there are only 7 lattes in a week, come on!) and I know my feet don’t normally get in the way this much. What is going on?

www.pregnancy.org claims that pregnancy-induced-clumsiness (PIC) is a real phenomenon. This website has got to be kidding me. Except, maybe I have PIC? So I read some more. The combination of relaxin, that pesky hormone loosening my hips (and unfortunately other joints), a shift in my center of gravity, and apparent “psychological stress” (which creates poor decision making and short-term memory loss) stir up nicely to create PIC. I’m not ready to diagnose myself, as that would be admitting weakness, but if things don’t get better I’m afraid I will be a PIC believer and, therefore, sufferer. Maybe I should buy some sippy cups a bit early?

No comments:

Post a Comment