Monday, July 4, 2011

newborn anxiety...

New babies are obviously good, but it some ways they are also bad. Hubby’s boss had his baby—they went in to get things going at 8 days late and finally she came out 36 hours after that. Guess she wasn’t really ready! She got to go home 12 days after her due date. Sheesh! Boss-man and his wife are also friends (if you remember, Hubby and Boss are the only two working together and do things like “work” at the ping-pong table, stop for bike-breaks, and visit the beer garden during business hours), so naturally they have invited us over 700 times to meet the baby. Well, I was able to get out of going to visit in the hospital because I was at work (and they would have understood if I was sitting on my couch at home, just boycotting, but still I felt badly), but there’s kind of no excuse anymore now that they’re home and the baby’s staying  there too. Hmm. I got all worked up about it this morning, just thinking about how I haven’t seen a newborn since Wyatt was born. How can I expect myself to go see this little nugget when it’s just going to remind me of all the great stuff I never go to do with my first son? For example: wipe pee off the walls, clean up spit-up from all my clothes, worry about his breathing, curse him for keeping me up, have extreme nipple pain…etc., etc.
But we set a time to go over, and I psyched myself up (it helps to know you can run bawling out of the house and the people inside will totally understand). Then, they cancelled. So now I just hope my jitters are out, even if I haven’t met her yet, or I’ll have to re-psych myself up. It’s like a boxing match for cripe’s sake: I’m sweating, agitated, wide-eyed, rarin’ to go. I hope I don’t get punched in the face too badly. But I’ve gotta start somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment