Saturday, February 19, 2011

genetic screening

We’re coming up on the time for second-trimester genetic screening. This is when labs check some hormones in the blood to see the risks of the baby having certain disorders. More blood tests, obviously. What am I, a science experiment?  These tests don’t say “yes” or “no” about having the chromosomal or neural issues, but they give you a 1/x chance. Like people at my age have a 1/350 chance of having a baby with chromosomal defects, but the test can show 1/6500 (like Wyatt, who clearly aced it of course) which obviously should make you feel better. If it doesn’t look better than chance, you can get more invasive tests that can tell you more definitively. I’d rather not have a two-foot needle poked through my uterus to actually diagnose problems, but we’ll worry about that later if we have to (knock on wood for me).

I think they can look for a bunch of “markers” on the mid-pregnancy ultrasound too. I can’t wait to see that sucker, but I need to learn more and ask lots of questions, sigh. With Wyatt, I had one screen in the first trimester, but my doctor didn’t talk about that one this time and I guess I forgot to ask. Maybe because we discussed having them around 16-17 weeks I let it go? It’s kind of blurry, looking back. His 1984 ultrasound machine probably doesn’t do the first trimester ones anyway, ha. I kind of wish we had both screens done, now that I’ve actually brushed up on my research, but I suppose I trust this kind of screen just as well. It’s still nerve wracking. I mean, I’d like to know what’s going on in there, but even if I had every diagnostic test known to man there are still so many unknowns, as we know from experience. Additionally, it might show elevated chances and then I’ll have to decide if it’s worth doing the more invasive tests…and have even more stress. Or maybe it will say everything’s fine and then it won’t be, which only postpones the stress, grr.

Some people don’t want these screens. They don’t want to know if their baby has problems because it doesn’t matter to them. I totally get that—your baby is your baby and you love it regardless. It might also be about religion, or morals, or...whatever. But me, I’m eliminating as many secret surprises as I can. I need to be prepared, because last time I sure as hell wasn’t (it wasn't about genetic defects, but still). It will be surprise enough to hear a baby crying after I push it out this time; I’d like to be prepared for everything else that follows. I should have faith that the baby is okay, considering 90-something % are born perfectly, and alive, but I just need to check. I really do. It’s one thing I can control. 

I know it’s a human baby, so I’ve at least got that going for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment