Monday, February 7, 2011

Starvation Nation

I really can’t believe there isn’t already a post about Starvation Nation, population: me. I recall last time being hungry all the time starting around 3 months and then on and off for the duration. I remember telling someone right before we moved to Colorado that my biggest complaint was insatiable hunger; I must have been just about halfway through the pregnancy and wondering if I would have to get a second job just to feed myself. I would eat a big breakfast and literally be starving one hour later with no warning at all. I know I am not alone in this, but it sure surprised me! Of course I know it takes however-many extra calories to make a baby, but I had no idea how much extra food that meant and nobody told me my body would not deign to leave my brain in charge of finding those calories—it would do it for me, with a roar.


This time is turning out no differently. I just had my three month check-up and promptly noticed the fridge seems to be emptying out quicker than usual. The cupboards, normally stocked, are suddenly turning up bare. The people at Safeway somehow know me by name when I walk in the door. Hubby is complaining about having to go to Costco more often than usual. And, yes, also my stomach is grumbling at all hours of the day and night, particularly after my middle-of-the-night tinkle when I have to debate if getting back up to eat something is better than trying just to fall back asleep and stay cozy. It’s kind of fun and science-experimenty to be on this kind of feeding schedule, and I have to say I welcome signs that this baby is doing okay, but it really is a crazy amount of feeding going on in here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment