Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rational Thoughts

So we’re taking the team to North Carolina for spring break. We have three games, some practices, and a general good time ahead. It’s so great to get the team off campus, away from schoolwork, and see how much fun they can have and who really comes out of their shells. Nothing in lacrosse season was more fun for me than that warm, sunny spring break away from everything else “college” just trying to kick some ass and only having teammates and lacrosse games to think about. It’s like being a professional athlete, basically. Except we didn’t have ladies throwing themselves at us and we didn’t get paid. But still. I’m psyched for it.

Except the flying part. I’m not afraid of flying (that’s the other coach, who said she developed this fear after having her first baby-great). I don’t think about crashing, I don’t get motion sickness (well, sometimes on boats), and I don’t get antsy sitting around for a few hours. But I now have this irrational fear of blood clots. I don’t think there’s any reason I am more likely to have a blood clot sitting on an airplane than on my couch (which I do all the time), it’s just that everyone always says “make sure you get up and walk around every hour because of blood clots.” So, naturally, I’m going to be tired 
from waking up at 3am to get my ass in the school van by 4am 
and on the airplane by 6am but I can’t take a nap because what
 if I sleep for more than an hour and immediately get a blood clot? 
What if I can’t get out of my seat because I’m next to some 
snoring fatty who I can’t climb over and the blood pools at my 
waist and clots in my leg and blocks blood to the placenta or goes 
straight to my heart? Or even just one of those things? Eek! 
Again, I sit on my couch for hours on end (I don’t use a desk, 
but same idea) so why should I worry more about planes? 
I shouldn’t. But should I worry more about the couch? Oh dear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment