Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Goodness of October

Things that are good in October: Halloween, changing foliage, cool air, field hockey, Nana’s birthday, Patti K’s birthday, first snow (?), daylight savings, slippers.

I figure I should take time to consider the great things about October, of which there are many. Many more than even I listed, obviously, but I tried to get the most important/best ones. 1) With Halloween comes crazy or stupid costumes, lots of candy, carving pumpkins, and usually (when you are an adult) a sweet party. Roasted pumpkin seeds taste awesome. And so do Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. 2) October is also great for leaf-peeping. In Colorado, it is the gorgeous aspens people flock to see. They turn bright, beautiful yellow and then tarnish into a sweet gold. Against the consistently blue-bird sky they are lovely. 3) I also enjoy the weather. When you wake up, it is in the 40s and crisp. Daytime continues with summer in the 70s with sunshine (in Colorado that is). Then, for the last dog walk of the evening you have to snuggle up in a vest and sweatshirt again. Cozy, cozy, cozy. 4) While I can’t coach or play much field hockey out here, there is nothing I miss more than walking down to the field at 4pm with my gear and my team. The leaves are beautiful, the air is cold and clean, the promise of a good workout, some camaraderie, and a quick sunset are present. Donning that jersey feels best in October. 5) Birthdays of great people. Enough said. 6) First snow. Also enough said. 7) Daylight savings means it is easier to wake up in the morning, not that I have to. I don’t particularly like coming home from work after 3 hours of darkness have passed, but it makes the day more manageable and it means winter is just around the corner. 8) I love the time of year when it makes sense to bust out the old LLBean slippers. It’s become too cold for continuous barefeet, and the feel of fuzzy, fleecy slippers is almost as good. Plus, I don’t like walking around in socks. It feels yucky on the bottom and gives me tactile dysfunction when I step on something smooshy in the kitchen. These are things that rule in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment