Saturday, January 8, 2011

what's in a due date?

According to some random statistics, only about 5% of babies are born on their estimated due dates. According to different random online statistics, 35% of babies are born in the week after their due date; this is the most popular week. It seems first time babies tend to be later than other babies, and that gestational age at birth may be somehow genetic (if we believe random online statistics found through Google and other such sources). Since my mom had both my brother and me early and Hubby’s mom had them both late (brother-in-law was 2.5 weeks late, eek!), I’m hoping it’s passed on from the old maternal grandma’s side, if it’s passed on at all. Obviously this exact inherited baby-popper-outer-mechanism would involve only the perfectly incubated babies, those who come into the world when they’re good and ready, not because they or their moms have problems for which nature or medicine deems early arrival necessary. Hmm. My own statistical knowledge is really about stillbirths, which occur in somewhere around 1/170 to 1/200 births. .05%. Lucky me.

Back to the due date: we got one. This nugget’s coming on or before 8/10/11. Doc said he wouldn’t let me go past that due date, and I’m sure as that time approaches I will be more than ready to take him up on that offer. Too bad it’s, like, still seven whole months away. Eesh. Between now and then, I believe I will find and watch the movie Due Date, starring Robert Downey, Jr., and Zach Galifianakis because it looks amazing. Hubby and I died when the commercial came on and it showed Robert Downey, Jr. saying, “Hey, I can’t believe we made it! I could kiss you!” (not an exact quote) and then the other guy with the crazy name gets all giggly and tries to squirm away from the kiss and completely drives off the highway overpass. They don’t die, so it’s funny. Can’t wait. I might even watch it twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment