Friday, June 4, 2010

It's cankle time!

We have completed our cross-country move; it’s the 6th time I’ve had to make such a 30+ hour drive and let’s hope for everyone’s sake I never have to do it again. How boring is sitting in a truck for two and a half days straight? I can’t think of much else I would rather do less, but, that point is moot because I’m here for good.

Something new and exciting did occur on our journey though, and I’m not talking about camping through a tornado in Missouri, I’m talking about cankles. You know, you’ve seen them, you’ve wondered how they got that way. I will tell you: pregnancy and dehydration and sitting for too damn long. Or maybe some combo of the three—but that was my magic trifecta. It started with some agitation and tightness in my lower legs and ended a couple days later with some kid in a parking lot pointing at me and asking why I had elephant legs (not really, thank goodness). Cankles really are a wonder; I definitely feel for those who, for some unfortunate reason, have legitimate cankles, but I am also fascinated by them at the same time. They’re like fresh sausages in a thin casing, tight but squishy at the same time. They’re like an amorphous, detached part of your own body you know you should be able to feel but can’t. You can poke the skin around the ankle and not feel bone! In fact, I started to play with them so much Hubby had to tell me to stop. I told you the trip was boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment